Get in touch
The Smokey Carter
About us The Smokey Carter is Husband & wife team Howard & Samantha Carter. They met back in 2005 when they both worked onboard cruise ships. Their travels around the ports of Central America, the Mediterranean and the Eastern Caribbean was the initial inspiration behind their range of award winning artisan barbeque rubs, sauces, chilli jams and chutneys.
Their love of international food, travel and sunshine, along with Howard’s passion for outdoor cooking, forms the backbone of the business you see today.
Officially launched in 2013, after making a batch of BBQ sauce for family at Christmas, proving to be an instant hit, The Smokey Carter was born.
Their continued mission is to bring those international influences from places such as; the United States, Mexico, Caribbean, Portugal, Greece and Asia to their extensive range of sauces, seasonings and gifts.
All their BBQ rubs & sauces are still handmade in small batches, ensuring the best quality every time.
Now permanently based in sunny Cheshire in the North West of England.
The Smokey Carter has won some prestigious awards for their products including;
- 14 Great Taste Awards
- 3 National Chilli Awards
- Theo Paphitis’s ‘Small Business Sunday’ Award, July 2016
- ‘The Expert Award’ at the eBay for Business Awards, 2018
- One of the ‘SmallBiz100’ for Small Business Saturday, December 2020
- Federation of Small Business (FSB) – Self Employed/Sole trader of the Year 2022, North West
As well as the following recognition;
- Shortlisted for North West’s GBEA Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year 2019
- Shortlisted for ‘Gift of The Year 2020’ with 3 of their Gift tubes, including; ‘Around The World’, ‘American Road Trip’ and ‘Gin Botanicals’.
- Shortlisted for North West Finals for the FSB Small Business Awards- Self Employed/Sole Trader of the Year, 2020
They have also had a recipe published in ‘The Manchester Cookbook Second Helpings’, which celebrates the North West food scene, including recipes from Masterchef champion, Simon Wood.